Moving Out Checklist
Six Weeks Before Move:
- Call for moving estimates.
- Inventory all household items to be moved, and start packing NOW!
- Remove all items from basement, storage sheds, attics, and plan a garage sale or
- charity donation for all items you don't want to move.
- Start using things up that you can't move, like cleaning supplies and frozen food.
- Make a list of all people/organizations to contact about change of address.
- Complete U.S. Postal Service change of address forms and mail them to all applicable publications, stores and organizations.
- Contact insurance agents to transfer or cancel coverage.
- If it's a company move, check with your employer to find out what moving expenses they cover.
- Get a mail subscription for the local paper in your new location to familiarize yourself with the new community, its activities and issues.
Four Weeks Before Move:
- Get an itemized list of all moving related costs and review with mover, including packing, loading, special charges, insurance, etc.
- Contact all current and new location utility companies (gas, water, electric, cable TV, phone & trash collection) to set connect/disconnect dates. Remember to keep current utilities hooked up until move day.
- Move valuables to safe deposit box to prevent loss during move.
- If you are packing yourself, acquire packing materials/boxes and pack items you won't need for the next month.
- If professional mover is packing your goods, schedule packing day(s) 1 or 2 days before move.
One Week Before Move:
- Defrost refrigerator/freezer.
- If you're moving out of a building with elevators, arrange with management for use of elevators on move day.
- Prepare specific directions to your new home for your moving company, including your travel itinerary and emergency numbers.
- Pack a box of items you will need immediately upon arrival at your new home and have movers put this box on last (clearly mark box as PACK THIS LAST or UNPACK THIS FIRST) or take it with you.
- Have appliances disconnected and prepared for move.
- Set aside one room for packers and movers to work in freely.
- Arrange to have utilities turned on at new home.
- Notify friends and neighbors of new address and phone number (if available).
- Set aside manuals and instructions for your current home for new owner.
- Do NOT disconnect your telephone until the day after loading.
- Schedule for appliance disconnects on moving day or the day before the move, if necessary.
- Plan on spending entire day at house with movers. Don't leave until movers have gone.
- Stay with moving van driver to oversee inventory of goods.
- Give moving van driver directions to new home and numbers where you can be reached prior to delivery.
- Review carefully and sign bill of lading and inventory, and keep your copy in a safe place until all charges have been paid and all claims (if any) have been settled.
- Make final walk-through of house, including basement, attic and closets, to make sure it's empty.
- Lock all windows and doors, and drop off keys with Realtor, neighbor or new owner.